:: Re: [DNG] kernel drivers [WAS: How …
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] kernel drivers [WAS: How long should I expect to wait for openrc to be ready in devuan ascii]
Le 04/07/2017 à 02:55, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult a écrit :

>> Motorolla/Emerson used to provide VME drivers for free,
>> but OOT despite the fact that the specs of the Tundra PCI-VME bridge
>> were public. They didn't do it for all releases.
>
> Why didn't the work with the community to get everything upstream ?

     Dunno for sure. Here are a few hypothesis. I could get updates for
free from the kernel guy because I had his email, but my local dealer
would probably have charged me for that and didn't care to keep me aware
of upgrades.

     Also the API of their driver looked in contradiction with the one
of Gabriel Paubert who has been developping a discontinued suite of free
VME drivers for Debian. I talked with Gabriel Paubert more than a decade
ago because I have been using his driver; it happened that we have
completely different views on what VME is made for. Finally, a few years
ago, a group devised a VME API for Linux every driver has to comply
with, and Emerson followed the prescription. The API was very similar
with the one of Paubert, but it also contained some absurdity, and,
since my project was reaching the end, I just stopped upgrading the
kernel and staid with version 2.6.27. The machines are still running
Debian Wheezy with that old kernel.

     VME started in the 70's, and it has taken until ~ 5 years ago to
have a VME API on Linux. In the mean time users have lived with vendor's
BSPs. As a client, I didn't question the reason of all this; I made what
I needed to get the job done.

     Didier