:: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] some ASCII issues
On Tue, Jul 04, 2017 at 12:18:19PM +0200, Alessandro Selli wrote:

[cut]

> > didn't involve a right
> > reserved under copyright in the first place,
>
> Let me remind you GPL is a licence, and that it prohibits linking
> proprietary code with free code in the same binary file.

Sorry, but this is totally wrong, and quite misleading. By freedom 0,
you can *use* a GNU GPL software for whatever task you like, and even
link it with other proprietary software of your choice, without
limitations. Any single or company can take GNU GPL software out there
and *use* it as they want, even together with other proprietary
software.

What you *cannot* do is *distributing* a software covered by the GNU
GPL, or a modification thereof, inside of or in combination with a
software that has a license more restrictive than the GNU GPL itself,
or that is incompatible with the GNU GPL.

Again, the GNU GPL *does* *not* prohibit linking GNU GPL software with
proprietary software and *using* the combination as you like. It
prohibits *distributing* GNU GPL software under a non-GPL license, or
together or in combination with other software released under GNU
GPL-incompatible licenses.

I know I have repeated the same two concepts twice above, but
unfortunately the inhability to spot the simple difference between
*use* and *distribution* has attracted a lot of undue hatred on the
GNU GPL. And the usage of the legalese *convey* to indicete
*distribute* in the GNU GPL 3 didn't help at all to clarify this
point.

HND

KatolaZ