:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] How long should I expect to wait for openrc to be ready in devuan ascii
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
Le 29/06/2017 à 17:16, Adam Borowski a écrit :
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 03:15:33PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 29/06/2017 à 14:51, karl@??? a écrit :
>>> Hmm, something similar could be used to create thoose /dev/disk/by-*,
>>> for a static /dev:
>>>
>>>    find /dev -type b | xargs blkid | sort | some_script_to_populate_by_xxx

>>> But if that is only a transformed /sys/class/block, wouldn't it be
>>> easier if there was a /sys/class/uuid or similar ?
>>     Everybody is using blkid to build thiese links, my script as well as Udev
>> and Vdev. You probably noticed that blkid has a special option for Udev
>> because Udev people are too lazzy to parse the response. In Vdev, Jude made
>> the parsing job to be compatible with Busybox's blkid which hasn't this
>> special format.

>>     So blkid authors on one hand provide a special format for Udev to create
>> the symlinks, and on the other hand claim that they aren't reliable!
>>> Also man blkid says:
> # It  is  recommended  to  use lsblk(8) command to get information about
> # block devices rather than blkid.  lsblk(8) provides more  information,
> # better  control on output formatting and it does not require root per‐
> # missions to get actual information.

> So as you're making a new tool to parse this information, it's better to
> use the newest and greatest source, thus avoiding that deprecated format.
> Using the library rather than a cmdline program is also an option.

     blkid does not require root permission. It will actually examine
the block device if you are root; otherwise it will read its cache.
AFAIU, this means you rely on some service ( the hotplugger) to invoke
it as root and refresh the cache when something happens. I hope lsblk is
more than a wrapper for blkid :-)

     Didier