:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 03:15:33PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 29/06/2017 à 14:51, karl@??? a écrit :
> > Hmm, something similar could be used to create thoose /dev/disk/by-*,
> > for a static /dev:
> >
> > find /dev -type b | xargs blkid | sort | some_script_to_populate_by_xxx
> >
> > But if that is only a transformed /sys/class/block, wouldn't it be
> > easier if there was a /sys/class/uuid or similar ?

>    Everybody is using blkid to build thiese links, my script as well as Udev
> and Vdev. You probably noticed that blkid has a special option for Udev
> because Udev people are too lazzy to parse the response. In Vdev, Jude made
> the parsing job to be compatible with Busybox's blkid which hasn't this
> special format.

>    So blkid authors on one hand provide a special format for Udev to create
> the symlinks, and on the other hand claim that they aren't reliable!

> > Also man blkid says:

# It is recommended to use lsblk(8) command to get information about
# block devices rather than blkid. lsblk(8) provides more information,
# better control on output formatting and it does not require root per‐
# missions to get actual information.

So as you're making a new tool to parse this information, it's better to
use the newest and greatest source, thus avoiding that deprecated format.
Using the library rather than a cmdline program is also an option.

--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.