:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
Am Montag, 26. Juni 2017 schrieb Rick Moen:
> Quoting Dr. Nikolaus Klepp (dr.klepp@???):
>
> > yes, 2.6 series worked that way :-)
> >
> > Problem is:
> >
> > $ uname -r
> > 4.9.0-0.bpo.3-amd64
>
> Well, exploring improved kernels is good. But I'm still puzzled about
> what you're claiming the problem is. /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug is
> merely something you construct (the location of the usermode helper
> hotplug mechanism) -- for kernel revisions that include hotplug. But
> you don't necessarily _need_ to have mdev getting uevent data via
> hotplug, anyway.

Sure I cannot use /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug any more, but that's just another inconvinience. As long as hotpluging works for you, why should you worry? But what when it's broken?

For example Tandberg RDX drives: with the 4.x kernel, udev does not show any events when inserting a cardrige. About year ago (3.x kernel and older udev) I got "ACTION=add" when inserting a cardridge. Now i only get these events when I insert the cardridge and then call "partprobe" as root. Great improvement. So probably there is something is a bit odd. Same goes for CD/DVD. Was it udev? Was it the new kernel? Did sombody mess up the transition from HAL? Let me stress: I do not have these problems on BSD, nor when I start my timemachine and go to wheezy.

Nik