:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Nate Bargmann
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
* On 2017 20 Jun 12:48 -0500, Joachim Fahrner wrote:

> I disagree. This should be a task for gnome developers, if they want to be
> compatible with non-systemd systems (FreeBSD, Devuan...). If they don't,
> then forget Gnome. ANY developer outside of the gnome team will ALWAYS be
> behind the actual development, resulting in unstable ports. I would not
> accept such ugly "third party workarounds".

I agree with Jochen. Should the GNOME developers determine that they
would like to reach the largest number of users possible, then they will
patch their code accordingly. Until that time, chasing their taillights
is not a productive endeavor.

Earlier in the thread Bruce brought up sysD APIs. What are the APIs
that sysD has implemented that are proving irresistible to other
developers. I know there is discussion of logind. As Bruce asserts,
any of these could be implemented independently. That said, we need to
ask ourselves, would the sysD developers "improve" their API and break
backward compatibility? I think if we look at the history of the
projects mentioned in this thread that the answer is a disheartening,
yes, yes they would do so.

I will reiterate my earlier comment. For those who believe that Devuan
is somehow lacking without GNOME et. al., Debian is a short download
away. I say that not with malice or condescension, but with sincerity
that your experience will be better with Debian as the Debian developers
have committed the project to support GNOME in full. Devuan has chosen
another path. Please respect that.

- Nate