:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
> On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 11:55:40PM -0700, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
>> I support getting GNOME to be available out-of-the-box Devuan. The
>> counter-arguments were not compelling.

     I'm allways surprised when people seem to find Gnome is compelling.
I never found it compelling. A dozen years ago I moved to KDE, because
Gnome was so ugly. Later I turned back to Gnome when KDE went crazy;
then Gnome-3 went mental also and I switched to Gnome-2, and then Xfce4.
My children told me recently the Linux we have at home seems much
simpler than those of some of their friends. I'm not sure they consider
this a compliment, but I'm happy with it because simplicity is a quality
for me and the complexity of other DEs is neither usefull nor pleasant,
just exasperating.

     I admit that this is a purely personnal preference, but since Gnome
people have committed themselves to make their DE everyday more
entangled with Systemd, it will take a similar team and commitment to
disentangle it on the long term. And, some day it will loose all sense
because the core motivation for having Gnome will lay in this very
entanglement.

     Didier