:: Re: [DNG] [Caml-list] [rfc] depreca…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] [Caml-list] [rfc] deprecating opam 1.2.0
Re: The version of opam in Debian and DEvuan Jessie is being
officially deprecated, becuse there are serious problems with it.

Let me start with the relevant quote from the ocaml mailing list:

On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 02:31:01PM +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> On 2 Jun 2017, at 13:16, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 02, 2017 at 11:09:37AM +0100, Anil Madhavapeddy wrote:
> >>
> >> ### Who is still using opam 1.2.0?
> >>
> >> I found that the Debian Jessie (stable) release includes 1.2.0, and this is probably the last major distribution including it. The [Debian Stretch](https://wiki.debian.org/DebianStretch) is due to become the stable release on the 17th June 2017, and so at that point there will hopefully be no distributions actively sending opam 1.2.0 out.
> >>
> >> Is there anyone else that is still packaging 1.2.0? Please comment here if so, and we should move them away.
> >
> > Yes. There's Devuan stable. It is Debian without systemd, and it
> > will take a while for it to catch up when Debian relabels their
> > releases.
> >
> > I'll ask about it on the devuan mailing list. Perhaps they can
> > accelerate the opam-related packages. I don't know whether that will
> > be compatible with their automated workflow.
>
> Thanks for checking, Hendrik. It may be worth mentioning to them that
> OPAM 1.2.0 is already broken in practical terms (unless the repository
> it defaults to is rolled back), and so we encourage backports to 1.2.2
> in this case.

So perhaps we should update opam and related packages, either in
Devuan Jessie itself, or, as suggested, in backports.

-- hendrik