:: Re: [DNG] lost ability to execute
Author: G.W. Haywood
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] lost ability to execute
Hello again,

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017, Haines Brown wrote:

> Installation of Jessie 1.0.1 AMD64 went well.

Considering what you write below, I'm not entirely convinced. :)

> I did not install desktop packages during install, but instead xorg
> afterwards along with a lot of other packages.

This starts to look like Pilot Error, but in fairness I suspect that
what you're trying to do might also be beyond the capacity of the
system that you're trying to do it with at this stage in its life.
Devuan Jessie is, in software terms, rather new. If you stress the
package installation you can expect to break it in interesting ways,
which may make recovery difficult if you're not an expert.

> I went to starx:

You might get on better to start with with one of the vanilla desktop
installs and a display manager (gdm, xdm, kdm, etc). When you get a
working system that you can use to read it, see 'man X'. :)

> I rebooted, and now I can't run any executable. ...
> $ aptitude search xorg
> -bash: /usr/bin/aptitude: No such file or directory
> No idea what happened. The executables are in PATH. ...

The symptoms look to me like those of a broken library setup, I think
you have somehow mixed 32-bit and 64-bit packages. Perhaps you should
start the installation again without trying anything, er, creative. :)

Incidentally mailing list etiquette suggests replies on-list, not
private replies, to list posts. That way everyone can benefit. I'm
not upset or offended by off-list replies but my mail server will now
gently reject them as a reminder to those who forget the conventions.

--

73,
Ged.