:: Re: [devuan-dev] Vote: udev vs. eud…
Author: Aldemir Akpinar
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Vote: udev vs. eudev

> <SNIP>
> I disagree here. The rules in /lib/udev are static rules installed
> mostly by other packages so we can't move them without patching a whole
> lot of packages. The rules in /etc/udev are for user manageable rules
> where there is either a need for users to edit them or users to add
> their own custom rules.
>
> <SNIP>

I can see the rationale and amount of work needed here, so I'm not going to
be nuisance by insisting on putting /lib/udev to somewhere else, however, I
must still state that /lib/udev/ isn't the best place to put these files.
Mind you, there are a lot of non-lib files placed here (hwdb, binaries to
get cdrom and ata ids and etc.), which makes it messy if not unsuitable.

IMHO /usr/share would have been the obvious choice.

Anyway, even saying this whole freedesktop stuff is badly designed is a
compliment.

Just my two cents,
--
aldemir