:: Re: [devuan-dev] Vote: udev vs. eud…
Author: Daniel Reurich
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Vote: udev vs. eudev
On 16/05/17 19:19, Aldemir Akpinar wrote:

> On 15 May 2017 at 16:03, parazyd <parazyd@???
> <mailto:parazyd@dyne.org>> wrote:
>
>     Since I think the eudev package is now fairly ready, I'd like to ask you
>     folks to test it (can be found in the experimental repository[1]).

>     If all goes well, I'd like to call out a vote on whether this package
>     should replace udev in Devuan jessie/ascii and be our default
>     implementation of udev. Provided the outcome is positive: the udev
>     package would have to be blacklisted in amprolla/dak.

>     Let me know :)

>     <http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/devuan> experimental main

>     --
>     ~ parazyd
>     GPG: 0333 7671 FDE7 5BB6 A85E  C91F B876 CB44 FA1B 0274

> I've installed eudev on a vmware vm migrated from Debian Jessie. Upon
> reboot my eth0 is converted into a gibberish name which I find outrageous.
> So IMHO there two thing that we needs to be discussed and fixed if
> everyone agrees:

> Let's keep the ages old network card naming convention by default (ethX
> is quite fine, try remembering those new horrid names and try typing
> them all the time, makes ones life harder)

I would definitely vote for reverting to the current (in jessie)
ethernet name behaviour instead of the potteringisation designed for the
"stateless" machine.

> Also don't you think rule files should be placed in /etc/udev rather
> than /lib/udev? I think forking udev doesn't mean that we need to follow
> RH people's bad practices, does it?

I disagree here. The rules in /lib/udev are static rules installed
mostly by other packages so we can't move them without patching a whole
lot of packages. The rules in /etc/udev are for user manageable rules
where there is either a need for users to edit them or users to add
their own custom rules.

I don't think we will add eudev to jessie - but certainly expect it in
jessie-backports.

Regards,
    Daniel.

--
Daniel Reurich
Centurion Computer Technology (2005) Ltd.