:: Re: [DNG] Help with xmodmap+xcape
Author: Giovanni Rapagnani
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help with xmodmap+xcape
On 09/05/17 23:36, Antonio Trkdz.tab wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I decided to live dangerously (with backups) and I recently upgraded my
> laptop install from Jessie to Ascii.
> It was a full fledged installation (X and all the bells and whistles...)
> and so far so good except for a couple of little things.
>
> Slim got hit as apt-getting it throws:

> slim : Depends: libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4) but it is not installable
>
> really minor and I didn't really investigate a lot on this, but if some
> of you has already faced it any hint would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Instead there is something more serious (to me)....
> I use a mixed XFCE environment with i3 as window manager and I was using
> xmodmap and xcape to modify some key bindings, in particular I map the
> spacebar to Hyper_L on press and xcape-ing it to space again on release,
> as per my .xmodmaprc (attached) and calling it in .profile (attached)
>
> when xfce/i3 loads the key binding is not loading on startup no matter
> what I do.
> xmodmap is complainig when in terminal emulator I run:
>
> $ . .profile
> xmodmap: commandline:1: bad add modifier name 'hyper_l', not allowed
> xmodmap: 1 error encountered, aborting.
>
> The strange thing is that CTRL-CAPS (also in xmodmaprc) swap is
> recognised initially and reverted on when I source .profile.
> Also the other mapping (keycode 94 = Control_R) seems to never work.

Hello Antonio,

You should first remove a specific function (Control_R) from its global
function (Control) before binding a new keycode to it. An example will
be more clear:

instead of doing:
keycode 94 = Control_R
add Control = Control_R

do:
remove Control = Control_R
keycode 94 = Control_R
add Control = Control_R

About assigning Hyper_L to mod3. On my system Hyper_L is bound to mod4.
You can verify if it applies to yours by executing 'xmodmap' without
arguments. So I first need to unbind it from mod4, then bind it to mod3.

remove mod4 = Hyper_L
add mod3 = Hyper_L

Hope this helps,
Giovanni