:: Re: [DNG] apt-get update issues tod…
Author: Florian Zieboll
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] apt-get update issues today

On Sat, 6 May 2017 17:41:44 -0500
hal <vmlinux@???> wrote:

> I tried apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade today and not
> sure what's going on. Some kind of issue with makedev or udev
> along with a warning about the kernel and initramfs-tools
>
> Can somone offer some insight on how to resolve the issues in this
> console output?
>
> https://pastebin.com/q55wVD1S

Hallo Hal,

I just had a quick look at the pastebin and found this:

| Get:1 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan/ experimental/main libudev1 i386 220:3.2.2-4 [99.6 kB]
| Get:2 http://us.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie/main makedev all 2.3.1-93 [42.6 kB]
| Get:3 http://packages.devuan.org/devuan/ experimental/main libudev1 amd64 220:3.2.2-4 [92.8 kB]

- From our ancestor distro's wiki:

| Don't make a FrankenDebian
|
| Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases. If you're
| trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian
| Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other
| Debian releases. The problems might not happen right away, but the next
| time you install updates.
|
| The reason things can break is because the software packaged for one
| Debian release is built to be compatible with the rest of the software
| for that release. For example, installing packages from Jessie on a
| Wheezy system will also install newer versions of core libraries
| including glibc. This results in a system that is not Wheezy or Jessie
| but a broken mix of the two.

Source: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don't_make_a_FrankenDebian

If you really need packages from other releases, you seriously should
get into "pinning" (see the apt_preferences manpage).

Libre Grüße,

Florian