:: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [W…
Author: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [WAS: Fwd: init system agnosticism]
On 18.04.2017 15:15, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> There's hypothetical stuff, what if service x needs service y. Well,
> what if it does. Should it demand that y be running at every moment and
> on the same host? DOES it demand that?

nfs daemons (plural) need portmap.

many years ago, I've patched portmap to be fully stateless (directly
maintains the table in some state files), so it can even be started
on per-request basis. no idea whether my patches ever went into
mainline ...

> This isn't a good thing to spend effort on. The trend today is towards
> services that require only an OS absolutely.

In general a good idea (unless they don't duplicate so dozens of things
over and over again). But there're still services out there that have
those constraints - and somehow we gotta cope w/ that.

Of course, often it's just bad sw architecture - just like most of the
stuff that distros have to cope with. We could start w/ dist patches ...

--mtx