:: Re: [DNG] apulse in experimental
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] apulse in experimental
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 12:44:32PM +0100, ael wrote:

[cut]

> Unhappily, I am still using debian, and my testing was done on unstable.
> Obviously I did not invoke mpv (etc) with "apulse mpv", so I was
> disturbed with it linking to libpulse-simple.so nevertheless.
> This was on a system with no pulseaudio, only alsa. Maybe putting apulse
> in its own folder will fix things.

My little understanding is that if a program is compiled with
pulseaudio support it will first check whether the pulseaudio server
is available, and if PA is not it should revert to alsa (if
possible). The problem is that many utilities have started supporting
only pulseaudio, despite ALSA is still around.

This is where apulse comes in the scene: if a program requires
pulseaudio, apulse will lure it into believing that pulseaudio is
available, but behind the scenes it will use ALSA instead. This is
more than enough for, e.g., skype or firefox, but might not work if
the program uses more "advanced" PA functions, but here my scarce
knowledge of apulse comes to an end.

> Not sure whether I can try to install that package on debian, but if not
> I imagine that I should be able to re-compile from source for a debian
> test.
>
> Hope to be running devuan real soon now....

Ehm...so you are not afraid of installing packages from Debian
unstable and you still hesitate to use Devuan? Seriously? Come on,
jump off that rock: we have cookies, and tea, and all sorts of
treats... :)

HND

KatolaZ