:: Re: [DNG] apulse in experimental
Author: ael
To: KatolaZ
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] apulse in experimental
On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:54:46AM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:40:51AM +0100, ael wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 01:22:52AM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> > > deb http://packages.devuan.org/devuan/ experimental main
> >
> > Good, but has anything been done to make it compatible with mpv,
> > mplayer (etc)? They seem to dynamically link to libpulse-simple.so
> > which results in a disasterous degradation in performance rendering them
> > pretty much useless.
> >
> > I am not sure how or why these programs are selecting libpulse-simple.so
> > .
> >
> > As of now, installing apulse breaks these programs.
>

> Hi ael,
>
> have you tried the package mentioned above? This version of apulse
> installs everything in its own folder, and will not shadow
> libpulse-stuff if it is installed already. In order to actually use
> apulse you need to wrap your program with "apulse
> <your_player>".

Unhappily, I am still using debian, and my testing was done on unstable.
Obviously I did not invoke mpv (etc) with "apulse mpv", so I was
disturbed with it linking to libpulse-simple.so nevertheless.
This was on a system with no pulseaudio, only alsa. Maybe putting apulse
in its own folder will fix things.

Not sure whether I can try to install that package on debian, but if not
I imagine that I should be able to re-compile from source for a debian
test.

Hope to be running devuan real soon now....

ael