:: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [W…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [WAS: Fwd: init system agnosticism]
On 18/04/2017 at 19:01, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 06:48:31PM +0200, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
>>> There is really no other reasonable alternative, IMVHO.
>> Yes, there is. It's called a good compromise. Then, outside of it,
>> you find the purists and the extremists.
>>
> We have seen what an irresistible avalanche of compromises has created
> in the systemd camp.

Today I read someone (perhaps Enrico Weigelt) stating that one of
systemd's
pitfalls is wanting to be the perfect init. I agree. systemd does not
compromise, it wants thing to be done the way it wants, it forces all
userland to comply to it's dictates. systemd is the opposite of compromise,
it's dictatorial.

> It turns out that I am a purist. And an extremist.

This is one of the best recipies for failure.

> And I am not at all
> interested in blurry concepts like "market shares",

If this feeling is shared by over 25% of Devuan's managers and
developers, it's going to be the 1000th distribution so nice, so good, so
"perfect" it's going to starve out of it's own failure to gain any
significant foothold into the marketplace. You might dislike the market as
much as you can, but that's what feeds projects and keeps distributions
alive. Voluntary donations might get you started, but will not prop you up
indefinitely into a viable OS capable of sustaining itself.

> since the quest to
> let Linux conquest "new market shares" has only brought problems and
> created monsters. Get your conclusions.

The quest to get Linux into as many lucrative markets as possible has made
it what it is, that is a success, unlike worthy, perfectionist projects that
failed nonetheless, like Plan9 or many of the successors to OpenSolaris.
Who mentioned GNU?

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???