:: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [W…
Author: karl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [WAS: Fwd: init system agnosticism]
Allesandro, I'm not interested in a debate (people talking past each
other), I'm interested in understanding why the proposed library and
it function calls are such a good idé, since I don't think it is.

Wheter to run a monitor or not is a different question, which I
consider is up to the local admin.

Why srvmgt_daemonize(), use -f and daemon() and you'd be fine in
either camp, end case.

Why srvmgt_droppriv(), either accept that the process set's it itself
or force it to some uid:gid, what is it more to it ?

Why srvmgt_report_state(), just do a normal query to the process and
you'll know if it is ready to serve you or not, if you want to know
if it is up to speed, do a benchmark, if you want to test the
integrity, do a regression test; what is it more to it ?
(And, yes, a monitoring program can do the above for you.)

I don't get the point of all this, can you explain ?

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148