:: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [W…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [WAS: Fwd: init system agnosticism]
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 01:32:01PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:

[cut]

> > This is a totally wrong assumption. Being a sysadmin is all about
> > setting and implementing *policies*. And the choice between systemd or
> > anything else is exactly a matter of policy. So yes, a sysadmin *must*
> > care if the OS he/she uses runs systemd or anything else.
>
> I don't care whether the OS runs systemd, sysv-rc, openrc or an enslaved
> young boy sitting at the console and starting daemons by hand. What I do
> care about is whether it:
> * implements standard interfaces
> * is correct while doing so

This is exactly my point :) A sysadmin *must* care about init because
not all the enslaved young boys sitting at the root console react or
complain in the same way. Some of them just limit their actions to
obeying to what the sysadmin asks them to do, and let the sysadmin
choose and implement the policy he/she wants.

Some other are quite opinionated guys. They come with their
pre-defined policies (often called "typical use cases"), which are
often terribly hard to work around, and stubbornly refuse to obey if
the sysadmin does not align to those "typical use cases". This is
something most sysadmin cannot (and should not) tolerate...

HND

KatolaZ