:: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [W…
Author: karl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [WAS: Fwd: init system agnosticism]
Enrico Weigelt:
> If one doesn't want a supervisor, why not just using something like
> start-stop-daemon ? IIRC, it should handle that quite well.

Why not just start the program and kill it when not needed anymore ?
You know, you don't have to have a supervisor.

> I wonder why that general task of daemonizing cant just be done in a
> generic separate program and left out of the individual daemons.
> So, everybody can decide on this own how to actually start/manage
> the daemons - some use a supervisor, some just call via a daemonizer
> program from init scripts, etc, etc.

http://software.clapper.org/daemonize/daemonize.html

BTW, -f and using daemon() is darn easy to implement.

We did have a kind of supervisor in inetd (mostly to save memory
and reduce load), but it's use has fallen out of favour. So why do
we have to invent new ways of starting and killing programs ?

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148