:: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [W…
Author: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] tiny service state api [WAS: Fwd: init system agnosticism]
On 15.04.2017 19:50, Steve Litt wrote:

> About my characterizations: "Baroque" is a relative thing. What I wrote
> was based on "why would you not simply use a process supervisor like
> systemd?" If a person has a reason not to use such a supervisor, and in
> fact the whole OpenRC init system seems to be based on such objections
> to supervisors, then the six system call solution you outline
> transitions from "a whole bunch of needless stuff" to "hey, that's a
> pretty darn kool solution." So your solution is baroque only so far as
> one enjoys using daemontools or similar.

If one doesn't want a supervisor, why not just using something like
start-stop-daemon ? IIRC, it should handle that quite well.

I wonder why that general task of daemonizing cant just be done in a
generic separate program and left out of the individual daemons.
So, everybody can decide on this own how to actually start/manage
the daemons - some use a supervisor, some just call via a daemonizer
program from init scripts, etc, etc.

By the way: maybe we should write an RFC draft for the whole issue ...

--mtx