:: Re: [DNG] Screensaver issues
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Screensaver issues
On 04/04/2017 03:29 PM, golinux@??? wrote:
> On 2017-04-03 16:50, fsmithred wrote:
>> On 04/02/2017 06:49 PM, golinux@??? wrote:
>>> A few days ago I finally upgraded to the latest stable kernel
>>> 3.16.39-1+deb8u2. Now my screensaver isn't working properly. :( It
>>> keeps losing the ability to blank the screen and now never turns off the
>>> monitor after that. If I go into the screensaver settings this message
>>> pops up:
>>>
>>> The XScreenSaver daemon doesn't seem to be running on display ":0.0".
>>> Launch it now?
>>>
>>> Most often when I come out of suspend the screen is blanked and I have to
>>> wake it up.
>>>
>>> All minor annoyances but annoyances nonetheless.
>>>
>>> Should I downgrade the kernel, just live with it or is there a fix?
>>>
>>> golinux
>>>

>> Go into Settings, Session and Startup, Application Autostart and make sure
>> that Screensaver is checked.
>>
>> That's all I can think of right now. Oh, you did reboot after the kernel
>> upgrade, right?
>>
>> -fsr
>>

> I can't remember what the setting was before the kernel upgrade but
> Screensaver was not checked. So I checked it. Monitor is still doing
> strange things coming out of suspend and is not turning off after x number
> of minutes. This is why I put off upgrading sometimes for weeks or
> longer. Yes, I rebooted more than once iirc.
>
> golinux

I think there are some strange interactions between xscreensaver,
xfce4-power-manager and vlc. I like my monitor to turn off at night, and
I've found that I have to go into the power manager settings and change
the time before the display shuts off, or else it won't turn off. A change
of one minute in either direction is sufficient.

There's also a button on my panel that runs 'pkill vlc' for the times when
vlc doesn't really go away after closing it.

I don't know the right answer.

-fsr