:: Re: [DNG] Mumps on Devuan?
Author: Lars Noodén
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Mumps on Devuan?
On 03/24/2017 01:23 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
> Thanks Lars,
>
> With your instructions, I was able to copy my hello.m into the gtm
> environment, run it, and get the expected output. I was also able to do
> the following:
>
> mumps hello.m
>
> which created a mumps.o that I could find no way to link.
>
> In this great big world, is there any simple documentation on what the
> various programs in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64
> actually do, and their options? There's no readme. There are no man
> pages. I haven't yet been able to convert hello.m to an executable.
>
> I completely understand that it's expected anyone interested in mumps
> was doing it in the 1970's and knows all that stuff already, but it's
> not quite true, so if you know of any such documentation, please let me
> know.

It was hot in the 1980's too. With it being NoSQL, AGPL, and high
performance, I would kind of expect a minor resurgence these days.

The source for the GT.M version of MUMPS is still maintained at Sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fis-gtm/files/?source=navbar

As far as I know there aren't manual pages but most programs should take
-? or -help as an option and spit out some minimal clues. But there are
also these three guides:

http://tinco.pair.com/bhaskar/gtm/doc/books/ao/UNIX_manual/

http://tinco.pair.com/bhaskar/gtm/doc/books/pg/UNIX_manual/

http://tinco.pair.com/bhaskar/gtm/doc/books/mr/manual/

Walk back up the URL path if PDF versions are desired.

Whatever's going on there sounds interesting.

Regards
Lars

PS. Using UTF-8 may require some slightly different settings.