:: Re: [DNG] Mumps on Devuan?
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Mumps on Devuan?
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:21:15 +0200
Lars Noodén <lars.nooden@???> wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I now have a beautifully performing Devuan guest VM purposed as a
> > Mumps machine, to study the Mumps language. I installed the fis-gtm
> > and mumps-test packages, but cannot find an executable to either
> > invoke a Mumps interpreter, or run a Mumps program. Does anybody
> > know?
>
> I only looked at it casually some years ago and it was many years
> before that since I looked at MUMPS / M
>
> With that caveat, installs in a long path based on version. So isn't
> GT.M in the following executable?
>
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64/gtm
>
> You may have to set some environment variables (e.g. gtm_dist) to use
> some of the utilities, such as mupip.
>
> Regards,
> /Lars

Thanks Lars,

With your instructions, I was able to copy my hello.m into the gtm
environment, run it, and get the expected output. I was also able to do
the following:

mumps hello.m

which created a mumps.o that I could find no way to link.

In this great big world, is there any simple documentation on what the
various programs in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/fis-gtm/V6.2-000_x86_64
actually do, and their options? There's no readme. There are no man
pages. I haven't yet been able to convert hello.m to an executable.

I completely understand that it's expected anyone interested in mumps
was doing it in the 1970's and knows all that stuff already, but it's
not quite true, so if you know of any such documentation, please let me
know.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb