:: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
On Wed, 22 Feb 2017 10:49:16 -0600
golinux@??? wrote:

> Heads up . . . the entire Xfce4 stack is moving to GTK3:
>
> https://blog.alteroot.org/articles/2016-04-12/road-to-xfce-4.14.html
>
> golinux

Hopefully, the kind of people no-thankyouing systemd started forming
migration plans away from xfce a long time ago. For the past several
years xfce has had gratuitous dependency and entanglement with dbus.
Even back in xfce's "good old days", it had lots of iffy behaviors you
needed to work around.

Xfce rose to prominence as a Gnome alternative when Gnome2 became the
infathomable Gnome3, gaining a "light" reputation based on comparisons
to Gnome3, KDE and Unity. But it's actually quite bloaty, and like most
bloaty software, it has all sorts of nooks and crannies for bugs and
unexpected behaviors to hide in.

People who prefer controlling their computer to having their computer
control them are moving more and more to lightweight GOSFUIs (Graphical
OS Facing User Interface) like lxde, lxqt, jwm, fvwm, dwm, Windowmaker,
Icewm, TWM, OpenBox, as well as a raft of tiling GUSFUIs, not because
their computers are short on resources, but because the more libraries a
GOSFUI depends on, the more likely one will go to the dark side
(unbreakable corporate control of the user experience), requiring the
GOSFUI to follow.

With golinux on our side, we have the opportunity to make absolutely
any GOSFUI look great and interface in a Devuan-expected manner. I'd
suggest that Jessie be the last Devuan that has xfce as its default
GOSFUI.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive