:: Re: [DNG] Browsers
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Browsers
On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 10:21:13AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 07:39:56PM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 01:34:50PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > > Are there other Devuan-packaged lightweight browsers anyone might
> > > recommend? I may switch to chromium, but I doubt that it's
> > > lightweight.
> >
> > If you don't mind minimal stuff (i.e., a browser that just browse the
> > WWW and downloads files on request), then surf+tabbed is a very good
> > and stable solution. Here are the links:
> >
> > http://surf.suckless.org/
> > http://tools.suckless.org/tabbed/
>
> Uhm, no. It doesn't have even the most necessary basics, like ad blocking.
> Seriously, how can one humanly browse when 2/3 of the screen is full of
> flashing crap, not to mention all security and privacy issues?

You can have ad-blocking, if you want:

http://surf.suckless.org/files/adblock-hosts

The truth is that if you want to keep a browser light you should let
it exclusively browse. All the rest should be handled in a proper way
by proper tools, working together in the old unix-style.

> I say "security" despite a first-party site having same or more
> capabilities to exploit an unpatched issue than a third-party element, but
> in practice, the chances https://slashdot.org or https://devuan.org would
> run an attack are a wee bit less than a random sleazy ad peddler.

surf enforces TLS by default. You have to recompile if you want to
disable it. It also supports socks5 proxies, even through a simple
"ssh -D ...".

BTW, Hendrik asked for a "light" solution, and I suggested the one I
have found after years of frustration with the late Mozilla & Co.

I understand very well though that nowadays we are used to have
full-featured operating systems as browsers, so that "light" might
actually mean very different things to different people :)

My2Cents

KatolaZ