:: Re: [DNG] Browsers
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Browsers
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 19:39:56 +0000
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> If you don't mind minimal stuff (i.e., a browser that just browse the
> WWW and downloads files on request), then surf+tabbed is a very good
> and stable solution. Here are the links:
>
> http://surf.suckless.org/
> http://tools.suckless.org/tabbed/
>
> The setup is extremely simple. You just "apt-get install tabbed surf"
> and bind your preferred keystroke or menu entry to:
>
> "tabbed surf -g -e"

Danger Will Robinson:

The preceding fails on Void Linux setups. It dies with the dreaded
"webkit based browser suddenly aborts" symptom.

What I've found is that if you want to do this in stable manner (at
least on Void), you need the following command, EXACTLY:

tabbed surf -peg

The "p" arg tells it not to use plugins, which is what is needed to fix
the sudden abort. Too bad Midori and the rest don't have the same arg.
the "e" supposedly tells it to re-parent, but supposedly requires an
argument for the parent. ????. The "g" prevents geolocation: The
command runs fine without it, if you're willing to give away your
position.

The order of the three letters in the *single argument* appear to be
very important. My experience was that unless the first letter is "p",
you get some variation of the "webkit suddenly vanishes" problem. The
"e" is necessary when running surf from tabbed, but fails if you run
tab alone. As mentioned previously, "g" is optional as far as the
browser running without crashing is concerned.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive