:: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
Quoting Jochen Fahrner (jf@???):

> Am 22.02.2017 um 10:12 schrieb Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI:
> >
> > Move from Gtk to Qt ?
> >

> If you want to completely avoid Gtk, you have to go without many
> non-gnome apps like LXDE and Xfce desktop environments, Claws Mail,
> AbiWord, Chrome, Firefox, Midori, Pidgin and many more.
>
> Do you really want to go without Firefox or Chrome?

Fortunately, this is basically a rhetorical question on your part.
I don't think anyone present wants to do away with gtk, especially gtk2:
It's just a lib. In my own view, if an application's dependency tree
isn't too absurd, I don't mind a few more libs, so e.g., AbiWord is
easy to justify even though I have no interest at all in GNOME. When
you get to the bloat level of KMail dependencies, on the other hand,
that's where I balk. (People's tolerance levels obviously differ.)

IMO, the interesting question is what _DEs_ will do about the gtk3
GNOME-centrism problem. I mean those affected, of course. We've seen
what LXDE did: bail and migrate to Qt5. ROX Desktop and Xfce4 are the
other gtk2-based DEs. ROX Desktop has had little sign of life in six
years: I think they're done. Which leaves Xfce4.

Other DEs outside the gtk2-to-gtk3 conundrum:

KDE: Qt5
Cinnamon, MATE: gtk3 (to the extent that these are DEs distinct from GNOME3)
Enlightenment & Moksha Desktop: Elementary (from EFL)
Étoilé: GNUstep

As a Window Maker / GNUstep weirdo, I admire the crankiness of the
Étoilé and Enlightenment / Moksha Desktop people in ignoring most of the
world, and long may their flags wave.