:: Re: [Squatconf] OT [long]: The two-…
Author: Dominic Tarr
To: Petros at Freelab
CC: squatconf
Subject: Re: [Squatconf] OT [long]: The two-step population or how big is small community?
petros, not at all thanks for asking a interesting question
(also, I have been reading your posts about your project in Athens
with great interest!)

this is basically a graph theory question. an easy way to calculate
this would be to empirically generate networks with certain properties
and then measure their size. This is fairly easy to do with some
computer programming know-how, which is easier to come by (in my
experince) than pure math know-how.

it's easy to generate a random graph (this is not what you are asking
for, but provides a starting point) by generating a set of nodes, then
choosing a number of edges (connections between nodes) and creating
random edges between nodes. (say, iterate over every pair of nodes,
and add and edge between them with some probability choosen before
hand)

This would generate a random graph, and there would be cases where you
have friends of friends, etc. now, you could make this more like a
social network by randomly choosing nodes, removing an edge, then
re-adding that edge to one of their friend's friends randomly. as you
keep doing this, you'll move the graph towards a social graph. but
also, formerly connect peers (or whole subgraphs) may become
disconnected from the graph. you could process the graph like this and
draw a graph of what size the largest connected subgraph is.

another way, which is possibly more intuitive, is you could start by
generating a random graph, and then have nodes "introduce friends"
randomly select a node, then randomly select two of it's friends, and
then make a new edge between them, until the proportion of shared
friends reaches your target.

while you are generating the graph, measure the proportion of mutual
friends, and then stop when you have the amount you are looking for.

another approach, is to generate an optimal graph, where you have the
maximum number of nodes which a certain graph. But I like the random
approach because surely a real human network is more random.

Dominic