:: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):

> Yes yes yes, I understand that now. I hadn't really thought it through
> when I asked that question.
>
> In general though, I like the idea of public DNS as something that
> *just works*. I can later switch to the DNS server suggested by my DHCP
> suggestion, or install a caching DNS server on my computer.

Without objection, I'll point out that one leading advantage of a local
recursive server (what you probably mean when you say 'caching DNS
server'[1]) is that it Just Works -- in exactly the same way as 'public
DNS' does, plus you get faster response, because it's local and you have
low connection latency.

[1] The term 'caching server' doesn't tell you much, and doesn't really
say what the software _does_. Lots of different sorts of nameservice
software do caching.