:: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):

> I really like djbdns, but its installation is long and error prone, and
> djb uses directories like /service that no distro will ever use.

Dan really hates FHS. ;->

I haven't really properly investigated the three (arguably still four)
maintained forks of djbdns. It's more than possible that one or more of
them altered that, and I'd expect (at minimum) Garrit Pape and Prasad J.
Pandit to have produced FHS-leaning packages of their forked codebases,
because I expect they'd want to follow Debian and Red Hat (respectively)
policy.

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html#debian-djbdns
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html#ndjbdns

> On a selfish note, because every computer I use either has runit or has
> already installed Daemontools or Daemontools-encore, it would be nice
> if the daemontools part of djbdns install was made optional.

With work, you can use other superservers such as xinetd/inetd, instead.

I can't remember, does dnscache run by default under daemontools (and
require it), or is that just tinydns et alii?