:: Re: [DNG] A shell script for networ…
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: KatolaZ
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] A shell script for network connections
On Mon, Jan 02, 2017 at 01:43:14AM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:

[cut]

Hi Steve,

> In function configure_device(), you deduce whether it's wifi or wired
> by the device's name, and stuff like eno1 or wlo1 comes out saying
> "device can't be configured."
>
> One way to differentiate is the following:
>
> result=`iwlist $devicename scanning | wc -l`

I am already working on that...

[cut]

> My only other comment right now is if there's a way to have a member of
> a certain group operate everything, it would be wonderful so we could
> use it as slitt (or whatever) rather than as root.

...and working on that as well. I will support both sudoers (sigh!)
and sup. I understand that not everybody likes to explicitly become
root to configure networking on their laptop, but they have to "act"
as root to do that, in one way or another, whether they like it or
not... :)

> Be sure you have dialog as one of your dependencies. At first it didn't
> work until I installed dialog.

The new version I am working on checks for hard and soft dependencies:
it refuses to start if any of the former is not satisfied (saying
why), and logs a warning if any of the latter is missing.

I am also including an "Info" panel, where one can visualise basic
information about the current routing table, arp table, dns
configuration, etc. for simple diagnostic tasks (all those tasks can
be easily performed looking into /proc/net and/or via netstat, but I
acknowledge that this is not immediately accessible to everyone).

I believe these will be the last major additions for the moment, since
I don't want setnet to become an unmaintainable mess :)

StayTuned

KatolaZ