:: Re: [DNG] DocSprint Devuan, Decembe…
Author: hellekin
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] DocSprint Devuan, December, BXL
On 12/06/2016 01:13 PM, hellekin wrote:
> On 11/15/2016 08:43 AM, hellekin wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> for the third moment of its research-action vector on SMALL
>> SINGULARITIES, Dyne:β×λ is organizing a documentation sprint for Devuan
>> in December in Brussels.
>>
>> https://bxl.dyne.org/vectors/small-singularities
>>
>> This docsprint aims to produce an introductory booklet for Devuan users
>> and the community, in English and hopefully other languages (e.g., French).

Got news from the printer's: the books are being finalized and packaged,
so everything is on time! I'll post a picture as soon as I can.

> to bring copies to the public event that is scheduled for
> Wednesday, December 21st, 2016, from 16:00 to 19:00 at WTC Brussels in
> partnership with F/LAT. (More on this later).

We made a an invitation to the event on the Dyne:β×λ list, with a small
change: it will start an hour earlier, and will be followed in the
evening by a Solstice party in the Jardins Navez where we started our
research-action vector on Small Singularities 3 months ago: that's a
nice circle closing.

> Information and updates at http://bxl.dyne.org/moments/three

For those who missed it: everything not in this message was put online
there...

Here's a bit more practical information about the docsprint. A
dedicated team of volunteers who participated in
https://talk.devuan.org/c/devuan/doc-wg made quite some progress on some
aspects of the issue #143. As we were unable to bring people together
physically since our budget was canceled, it's quite an achievement.
Online coordination proved much slower, but as people picked up the
tasks, they could get acquainted with the power of the platform to turn
conversation into drafts and finally into shareable content.

The first page that went online was an update of the list of Devuan
blends (derivative works) at
https://devuan.org/os/partners/devuan-distros, thanks to the fantastic
work of Dev1fanboy (all times favorite Devuan cybrarian) and the people
who made these distributions possible (special thanks to fsmithred for
Refracta!)

We decided that "How to become a Devuan maintainer?" was a wrong
question (Centurion_Dan suggested that an action was more appropriate
than a role) and so Dan and Dev1fanboy (again) worked on clarifying the
processes of "How to Package for Devuan", which will appear shortly on
the site. We hope this will start a new influx of contributors who will
feel welcome to participate in Devuan without having to wait anymore for
some authority to be bestowed on them :)

One of my personal objectives for this docsprint was to revamp the
Continuous Integration schema that illustrates how the development
platform integrates Gitlab, Jenkins, and Amprolla. Doing so was much
fun, and with the help of Centurion_Dan I think the result is one of the
major improvements on the infrastructure documentation. I have a
problem though: I don't know where to put it. So far it appears in the
booklet and in the related talk.do topics. But it should go on the
git.do somewhere and on devuan.org as well.

A lot of pending work remains. You can see our working ground at
https://talk.devuan.org/c/devuan/doc-wg that is now public for all to
see. We could have achieved more, but I think the participants realized
how much we can do together with this platform and the next one will be
easier. But there's absolutely no need to wait for another docsprint to
keep things rolling. Issue #143 is far from complete, and there are
many ways to add a piece to the puzzle.

*

The finalized version of the booklet where you can read and comment
lives at https://talk.devuan.org/t/software-freedom-your-way/592

If you prefer some fancy CSS and typography, try
https://bxl.dyne.org/actions/software-freedom-your-way or download a PDF
version at
https://bxl.dyne.org/media/actions/3-software-freedom-your-way.pdf

Dyne:β×λ heartily invite you to read the book and comment on it. It's a
conversation starter, and a demonstration that the Devuan community is
to be made by the community. Translators can get started with it (Aitor
will coordinate Spanish, I will do French, Florian proposed to take
German, and other translators can take it upon themselves to bring the
Little Purpy Book to life in their culture.) There's an Easter egg in
this book that only two people so far know about, and I'm pretty sure
you will like it when you find it. Peel your eyes! The first person to
post on DNG about it will receive a signed copy of the Little Purpy Book
with a couple of Devuan stickers for bookmarks!

Each docsprint participant should send me (privately) their postal
address if they wish to receive a copy of the book as a humble present
for their involvement. If you're interested in distributing more copies
and help spread the word, you're welcome to send a message to
petites-singularites@??? where we're coordinating bulk orders.

I was quite surprised that not a single person decided to chime in and
start watching issue #143. After two years of hard work to make
participation something natural, I realize how this was a failure. I
hope this experience, and the booklet that came out of it will highlight
new perspectives on who, why, and how people can participate in Devuan
to make it the universal base OS it aims to be.

I'm very eager to read comments, suggestions, and criticism from the
participants in this docsprint, to whom I cannot be grateful enough, for
understanding and showing the path of participation and engagement.
This was a hard time, and we went through it with strength and dignity.
Congratulations to all who participated.

==
hk

--
 _ _     We are free to share code and we code to share freedom
(_X_)yne Foundation, Free Culture Foundry * https://www.dyne.org/donate/