:: Re: [DNG] trouble with wifi one ste…
Author: Clarke Sideroad
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] trouble with wifi one step away
On 11/29/2016 08:02 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I'm looking for ideas to solve this problem.
>
> Something's wrong. When I an in myt regular coffee shop, my phone has
> no trouble using the wifi, but my Devuan laptop cannot.
>
> My laptop will connect to the coffee shop'w wifi modem, which has IP
> number 172.16.0.1 and gives me IP number 182.16.0.194, but there seems
> to be no route from it to anywhere, not even DNS lookup.
>
> The /etc/resolv.conf file says that for DNS I should go to 172.16.0.1,
> which is the local wifi modem.
>
> I seem to be able to reach the local wifi modem, but it will ot
> connect me further.
>
> Why would my phone be able to commect but my computer not? This has
> been consistent for a few weeks now.

This may not be the cleanest way to handle it, but my guess is the
coffee shop router has a typo error in the assignment of local IP
addresses. When you are assigned a 182.16.0.x IP try switching to a
fixed IP for the connection and replacing the 182 with a 172. If it
works that is the problem.

The cell phone may appear to connect under the same situation but maybe
handing off the data to the cell network upon failure.

Clarke