:: Re: [DNG] Devuan KVM guest install …
Author: Andrew McGlashan
To: Miroslav Rovis, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan KVM guest install using ISO, virt-install and text based installation
Hi,

On 10/11/16 01:55, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> On 161109-14:31+0100, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'll be looking into this tutorial, if... (see below) :

;-)

>> On 161107-02:08+1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>> If this:
>>> Once the install was done, I dumped the xml, edited it, undefined the
>>> guest and then re-created it from the adjusted xml. The changes
>>> required (to the xml exported file) were to stop it booting the
>>> installer and to boot from the disk image instead.
>> means what you install with virt-install on an LVM volume on your real
>> hard drive can then be booted normally, regularly, leaving the Virtual
>> Machine behind?
>>
> Upon another reading of the above, no! That doesn't mean what I thought
> it means. (It means what it says, I just took time to understand. There
> is no xml involved with any normal boot, not usually, sucha s with
> grub. That is still using VM, not leaving it behind...)
>
> But is there a way to get that functionality (that I thought getting)
> with your scripts, Andrew? To install with VM, but to leave VM behind,
> and boot, such as after configuring a dual boot with grub, [and boot]
> normally?
> (I'm relatively new to virtual machines.)

I am pretty sure you can start the KVM instance using qemu.... but that
wasn't my goal; not quite "dual boot", but if you boot anything that has
qemu and the LVM available, then I expect you can boot it directly as a
guest -- it won't take over the host in this case. Otherwise, you may
need to do conversion of the guest to boot it.

I am thinking that you could perhaps boot a recuse ISO, run a shell and
setup a chroot environment and run from their with chroot.

Thanks and Kind Regards
AndrewM