:: Re: [DNG] vdev
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev
On 08/14/2016 05:31 AM, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 10:38:13 +0200, aitor wrote in message
> <57B02DF5.6080706@???>:
>

>> Hi Edward,
>>
>> On 08/14/2016 10:20 AM, Edward Bartolo wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know when vdev will be ready for DEVUAN 64 bit?
>>>
>>> Edward
>>
>> Today i'm working on vdev. First of all, i'm working on how to
>> restore the system if it fails.
>
> ..one way is have an usb key with an usb-live distro handy,
> (I use an old Debian-Live Wheezy to 'fsck -fy $ROOT') and
> chroot in from that.
>
> ..another way is set up grub to chainload iso-images you wanna
> use to rescue your test system from a any vdev accident.
>
> ..a third way is setup grub with both vdev and m|eu|etc|dev stanzas
> the way we do with systemd-and-sysv stanza pairs so we can go back
> to the "old working systemd" etc way ;o) and fix our mistakes.
>
> ..one neat thing about grub, is its shell, once you get the menu,
> hit "e" and then the tab key twice, and play around to familiarize
> yourselves with how it works, e.g how it finds disks, files, and
> how you can boot into root's shell with e.g. "init=/bin/bash".

I managed to boot with udev after running Ralph's script and booting with
vdev. I had previously made a backup copy of the original initrd. The
tricky part is that udev is disabled, so you have to start it manually.

At the grub menu, press e to edit the boot entry.
Change /initrd.img to point to your backup copy.
Add 'init=/bin/bash' to the linux line.

Or, you could create an entry that already has those changes before you
try rebooting.

When you get to the root prompt, run
/etc/init.d/udev start
/etc/init.d/udev-finish start (not sure if this one is necessary)
exec /sbin/init

-fsr