:: Re: [DNG] vdev
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev
On 08/13/2016 11:22 PM, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:
> Robert Storey wrote on 14/08/16 12:15:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> OK, I use Devuan as my main get-work-done distro, so I don't want to risk
>> accidentally nuking it. Therefore, I just installed another copy of Devuan
>> into a different partition. This is my experimental Devuan - I'm all ready
>> to play with vdev now. Before I pull the trigger, I need to clarify the
>> procedure...
>>
>>> I think it's better to use the deb files that Aitor is creating for us.
>>> Just download the deb files here:
>>>
>>> http://packages.gnuinos.org/pool/main/
>>
>> When you say "Just download the deb files" do you mean add them to
>> /etc/apt/sources.list? I'm a bit confused. Just to clarify, is this the
>> right procedure to install vdev...
>>
>> 1) Add a line to my /etc/apt/sources.list file saying...
>>
>> deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/pool/main/
>>
>> 2) apt-get update
>>
>> 3) apt-get install vdev
>>
>> Or have I got it completely wrong?
>
> If it's any help, I've uploaded a bash script as
> www.realthing.com.au/files/vdev/install-gnuinos.vdev.sh which steps
> through all the steps for installing the gnuinos vdev bundle for a
> pristine Devuan 1.0.0 installation. It documents what I did some few days
> ago, and as the debs get updated some steps might not be needed.
>
> The script is totally uncommented, but fairly straight-forward.
>
> Ralph.

Thanks! It works.

One typo on line 20:
cp {vdev-snapshot,}/usr/et/vdev/acls/00-whitelist-root.acl

should be /usr/etc not /usr/et

I'm testing on a system that doesn't have a display manager. Things are
working on the console. When I run startx and get to the desktop, touchpad
and mouse don't work. Seems like the keyboard doesn't work then, except
for ctrl-alt-sysrq-k to kill the xsession.

ps ax shows that vdev is not running. If I start it with '/etc/init.d/vdev
start' that doesn't fix the mouse and keyboard problem.

When I run 'tail -f /var/log/messages' I can see the connect/disconnect
messages when I plug/unplug the mouse. It also sees when I plug in a usb
thumb drive, but it's not getting a device name. (it should be /dev/sdb)
and fdisk -l doesn't show it.

I just tried booting with init=/bin/bash and starting vdev manually. vdev
exits with an error:

libudev/util.c:0156 vdev_log_redirect: ERROR
fopen('/usr/var/log/vdev/vdevd.log') rc = -30
main.c:0094 main: ERROR vdev_log_redirect('/usr/var/log/vdev/vdevd.log')
rc = -30
and then DEBUG vdev shutdown

if I do 'exec /sbin/init' I get the same errors for vdev, and then it
continues to boot.

What next?

-fsr