:: Re: [DNG] vdev
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev
Didier Kryn wrote:
>     No news from Jude for almost one year :-(

Commits to vdev on github are as recent as April this year.
Also, I think his continued work depends on feedback from testers.

>     I'm partial time reading documentation and sources and considering
> rolling my own hotplugger, simpler than vdev - Jude has done an enormous
> work and vdev is a complex software with hundreds of scripts, too complex
> for me.

sysvinit also has lots of scripts!

But vdev has 33 not in helpers/ and all of those are fairly
simple.

>     Reading uevents from netlink and parsing them is easy, but I'm not sure
> to know what to do with these events. My first conclusion is that
>     when there is MODALIAS=something, then I just have to modprobe a
> module's alias
>     when there is FIRMWARE=something, I just need to transfer the firmware
> by some well defined API
>     otherwise it is more complicated because there are many different cases
> (not all drivers provide the same uevent contents); but the job is to
> create/delete a device file, and set owner/permissions and symlinks; but
> some devices are neither char nor block (eg network devices) and I don't
> know what to do with them.

>     For this reason, I'm tempted to clone mdev and only change the way it is
> invoked. mdev is spawned for every uevent through the
> /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug mechanism; instead I would prefer one long-lasting
> daemon reading uevents from netlink. The design of mdev makes full sense for
> embeded devices, but not for others.

>     I'm sure mdev is very well written, because it has been written,
> maintained, and reviewed by highly skilled professionals. I have also found
> a netlink reader at Skarnet, which is certainly written with great care but
> does not seem very usefull since it just forwards the uevents to standard
> output as they come; but It might be instructive to look if it uses any
> special trick to read the netlink.

>     Any suggestions are welcome - there are still a lot of devices I don't
> know anything about.

It's your decision to write your own. However Jude's work is
technically interesting, and can be tested without changing
out udev.

Perhaps it just needs some additional user help in the form
of documentation, tutorials, etc.

have fun,

Joel