:: Re: [DNG] vdev
Author: richard lucassen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] vdev
On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 18:55:04 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> > Anyone here running vdev? I just looked around a bit, but there
> > seems to be little activity:
> >
> > https://git.devuan.org/unsystemd/vdev/activity
>
>      No news from Jude for almost one year :-(

When I posted this topic I expected to have at least a bunch of
replies. Yesterday I updated a freshly installed Devuan Jessie and I got
a warning about the network devices that are going to be changed and
that the 70-persistent-network.rules was going to be ignored. IOW: I
think vdev is very important for a systemd-free distro like Devuan.

Today I gave it a try on an ascii machine, but the README.md that comes
with a "git clone" seems to be outdated. And when following the
instructions on

https://git.devuan.org/unsystemd/vdev

I ran into a dependency hell. Unfortunately I'm not a skilled
programmer otherwise I would certainly have spent some time to
contribute.

There is quite some activity here, but when I post a topic about a
quite important unsystemd daemon there is almost no reply. That's
rather alarming IMHO....

>      I'm partial time reading documentation and sources and
> considering rolling my own hotplugger, simpler than vdev - Jude has
> done an enormous work and vdev is a complex software with hundreds of
> scripts, too complex for me.

[..]

I have no idea if there are alternatives to udev. If you're writing
your own hotplugger, wouldn't it be an idea to statically create all
possible devices in /dev (MAKEDEV) and to have the hotplugger just add
and remove symlinks? I know, I'm a noob, I have no idea what I'm talking
about but you never know :)

R.

--
richard lucassen