:: Re: [DNG] Oh, how I hate systemd
Author: Robert Storey
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Oh, how I hate systemd
> From: "Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult" <enrico.weigelt@???>
>
> Oh, BTW, I wonder when they merge gconf into systemd and so make that
> bad registry idea (which was one of the major reason of many people
> switching to unix/linux) mandatory ...
>
>> Making /etc, the equivalent of the Windows Registry in Linux, read
>> only, renders system administrators powerless whatever their
>> knowledge and experience.
>
>Maybe that the actual purpose behind the whole project ...

I don't if I should laugh or cry. Yes indeed, the Windows Registry mess
that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me - it got me started
looking at Linux. There were other things I didn't like about Windows
(security holes, blue screen of death, etc), but the Registry seemed like a
bad joke. And yet I've been reading over the years in various blogs and
articles (by "experts") that one of the problems of Linux was that it
didn't have a Registry.

So now Linux does have a Registry, and perhaps it's even more complex and
opaque than the one in Windows. I assume this is what the Lennart disciples
mean when they say (with a look of ecstasy on their faces) that systemd has
finally made Linux a "modern" operating system.