:: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ugly, ugly news
Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):

> True story. As one of ten founders of a LUG in 1999, and
> concerned about some future "evil group" "kidnapping" the LUG, I
> convinced everyone to put a very difficult quorum requirement into the
> constitution. Everyone was excited about the new quorum requirement:
> All of us had concerns because the previous LUG had been a (pretty
> darned good, in retrospect) cult of personality. Eight years later,
> when LUGs weren't so hip and populated anymore, that quorum requirement
> prevented the LUG from electing new officers, essentially killing it.

Out of curiosity, what prevented the aspiring officers from just saying
'Well, that was embarrassing', construing the LUG as deceased, but then
construing an entirely new LUG to have been just born that by an
astounding coincidence had exactly the same name and meeting place/time
but no constitution?

ISTR that the only tricky point is ownerships of substantial property,
mostly Internet domains but possibly other things, but that could be
resolved through a conspiracy to just Do the Right Thing and not look
too closely.

Am I just too devious, or the 2007 would-be officers just not devious
enough? I mean, conspiring to finesse constitution through trickery is
admittedly being a Bad Person, but isn't institutional death by
misadventure worse?