:: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Why Debian 8 Pinning is (or isn't) pointless
Hendrik Boom <hendrik@???> writes:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 10:34:55AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
>> By the way, what specifically does 'entangle it with unwanted
>> systemd-isms' actually _mean_, and what does that have to do with
>> whatever-the-heck-it-was that Rainier said? Once again, it seems to me,
>> there's vagueness in unfortunate parts of this narrative.
>
> It obviousy depends on what is wanted and what is not wanted. That
> depends on the user and system administrator.

libsystemd on its own doesn't entangle anyhting with anything else as
it's just a runtime link library providing systemd API symbols (as I've
written quite a few times already). But its presence enables people to
'entangle' unrelated applications (like apache) with systemd-specific
function calls (of no use to anyone but systemd users): Weren't it for
libsystemd, UNIX(*) application which were 'enhanced' with systemd API
calls like sd_notify wouldn't run on systems without systemd anymore.