:: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames …
Author: Arnt Gulbrandsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames on the login screen
Rick Moen writes:
> Remember, Unix is a multiuser operating system, and also one supporting
> both local and remote users, who would be annoyed by someone deciding to
> cut them off.

Reminds me of the story about the airline captain who took the mike to
apologise to the passengers for a delay: "I was held up in the security
control, they were worried that I might seize control of the airplane."

> Imagine a host with hundreds of simultaneous users, such as (say) a
> shared ISP machine. You would absolutely not want just anyone to be
> able to shutdown or reboot the machine at will. Tberefore, the
> conventional solution to this problem is to require membership in a
> bespoke group for shutdown/reboot rights.

I believe the conventional solution is to locate such hardware behind
locked doors and make sure few people have access to the power cables.

Arnt