:: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames …
Author: Tomasz Torcz
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] F1 and special usernames on the login screen
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 07:43:51PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Brad Campbell (lists2009@???):
>
> > This is one I find interesting. I've never used an operating system
> > where it was required to know root credentials to halt or reboot the
> > machine from the login screen.
>
> Remember, Unix is a multiuser operating system, and also one supporting
> both local and remote users, who would be annoyed by someone deciding to
> cut them off.

So it would be sensible to ask for root password IF there are other
(remote) users logged in. If there is no one logged in, shutdown/reboot
should be possible without entering root password.
Above heuristic could be default, with additional setting available
to always/never require root password to shutdown.

--
Tomasz Torcz                 Morality must always be based on practicality.
xmpp: zdzichubg@???                -- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen