:: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] systemd==bad

On 07/08/2016 05:01 PM, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 08, 2016 at 04:34:27PM +0900, Simon Walter wrote:
>> On 07/08/2016 09:23 AM, Hughe Chung wrote:
>>>
>>> Who was the organizer of the conference? How they allowed frequent
>>> interruption by the idiot during the presentation?
>>>
>>> It was a real video footage. A drunken idiot went to the stage at the
>>> end of presentation carrying a bear bottle on one hand.
>>>
>>> I posted the video link to other FOSS forum.
>>>
>>> Action outweighs thousands words of the person. The time will tell how
>>> much damage would systemd cause on FOSS ecosphere overall. Empty
>>> promises of systemd.
>>
>> Absolutely. Lennart's attitude of "it's free, so don't complain" and "no one
>> is forcing you to use it" is deceptive. If I make a calculator and release
>> it under an open source license, I might be able to use that line. You can't
>> have that attitude when you are making (what should be) inter-operable
>> components of an operating system. He continually commits logical fallacies
>> and says "You should know..." He seems very snobby. The beer part was over
>> the top. They should have never given him a microphone. He's obviously a
>> bully and therefore insecure. He has something to prove.
>

> You are making a simplifying assumption here, which might somehow
> affect the conclusions. Namely, that they are interested in making
> "interoperable components", which is clearly not the case, since the
> usual answer you get from that crew is "won't fix" and "it's your
> software and your problem, not mine".

Yes, you're right. It is clearly not the case, indeed. However, I think,
in his own mind, Lennart thinks he is doing the world a favor and we
should be grateful for his works of wonder. He probably believes his
system is highly interoperable. Of course, we, as lowly peons, need to
make sure to conform with his fantastic, open minded ideas. Please smell
the sarcasm.

Though, I don't understand how I am making an simplifying assumption. I
am trying to invoke Hanlon's razor.

> I am nevertheless convinced that evolution will eventually average out
> such evident anomalies, because the free software community has been
> based on collaborative behaviour, and if "won't fix" becomes the norm,
> there will not be a community any more...

Totally agree and am very thankful for the community, but so far,
everyone that I know of, except for this group here, has bowed to
Lennart's (and Red Hat's) "amazing wisdom."

The image I get from the web is that most developers are oh so happy to
jump on the systemd bandwagon. Please tell me I am wrong. I think we can
assume GNU will stay free of it, but what of lovely works such as
postfix? I pray developers are wise enough to ignore systemd or to make
any systemd hooks that they would like to program, *optional*. I know
some have gone this way.