:: Re: [DNG] polkit - which one?
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] polkit - which one?
Le 17/06/2016 17:15, Irrwahn a écrit :
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 16:21:35 +0200, Emninger wrote:
>> Thanks to my installation hassle i had an a bit close look to some
>> installed modules. So i saw, that with the basic install + X (i did not
>> install any specific desktop, but only with the --no-install-recommends
>> option: xorg, jwm, menu, lxdm) is already pulled in the gnome-polkit.
> ITYM policykit-1-gnome.
>
>> I do not know, if a polkit is absolutely needed,
> If you want session management you'll probably need some
> kind of polkit. What would happen (package-wise) if you
> tried to remove policykit-1-gnome?

     I'm using xfce4 DE on Devuan Jessie and have removed all
policy-kit* packages and package-kit. The halt and reboot buttons of the
logout menu of Xfce do not work anymore. They certainly invoke some
command to ask permission to policy-kit which denies it if anyone else
is logged on. Not something I need or want on a desktop.

     I have created two launcher files invoking /sbin/halt and
/sbin/reboot, with sensible icons, and then dragged them into the
pannels of all 4 users of the desktop. And I have added the following
line to the sudoers file:

ALL    myhostname = (root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/halt, /sbin/reboot,
/sbin/shutdown

     Still it is impossible to halt/reboot from the lightdm greeter, but
pressing briefly the power button triggers a gentle halt.

     Removing package-kit causes the synaptic launcher to not work
anymore because it invokes pkexec to ask permission to policy-kit. You
need to edit the launcher and replace the command by

     gksu synaptiic

     There's a fashion of having everything depend on policykit but it
is still possible to live without it.

     Didier