:: Re: [DNG] cosmetic installer issues
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] cosmetic installer issues
On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:21:18AM +0200, Florian Zieboll wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 16:04:08 +0200
> Adam Borowski <kilobyte@???> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 01:20:23PM +0200, Florian Zieboll wrote:
> > > Also great would be an early no-install-recommends option / switch.
> >
> > If you consider no-install-recommends, why would you use d-i tasks,
> > which are made specifically with recommends in mind? Just deselect
> > everything and configure the system to your tastes once d-i finishes.
>

> You're probably right... but wait, when I look over the output of
> $ apt-rdepends -s recommends -s depends task-xfce-desktop
> there are not too much recommended packages I'd want to see installed
> for an average desktop.

I don't see any strong offenders. Remember, task packages are meant for
ordinary users who want an usable system out of the box. Wasting some disk
space is not an argument for them -- the size of tasks is negligible on even
smallest disks you can find in semi-modern computers. You don't use a task
in places where such disk space matters (embedded, mass vserver hosting --
and that's basically it).

evince -> should be atril
avahi -> die die die

Some bits are situational: orca, xsane, but for an ordinary user it's better
to err on having them installed.

> Note to self: One day I'll have to create a "reversed debfoster plugin"
> for the upcoming devuan-installer^^

It would be really helpful to fix issues in regular debfoster first, it's
for all practical purposes unmaintained.

Meow!
--
An imaginary friend squared is a real enemy.