:: [DNG] Ascii install
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Ascii install
Hi all,

just to report that I managed to install Devuan ascii on a new laptop,
and everything works just fine. Well, to be honest, I was *not* able
to install ascii from the any of the Jessie beta medium, since the d-i
wants to install libpam-systemd which depends on systemd, so the
install fails (the issue has been filed in our git already), but a
simple dist-upgrade from a console-only Devuan Jessie worked without
problems.

I actually wasted 20 minutes to figure out that avahi was mangling
with name resolving and routing. I simply had forgotten that such a
stupid thing might have been around.

I would warmly suggest to *remove* avahi from any standard devuan
install, and, as suggested by somebody else as well, to remove avahi
altogether from any "Recommends:". If it was on me, I would have also
included a message like "You are trying to install avahi, which will
trash your system, waste a lot of your time, and make you swear in
forgotten languages. If you are sure you want to proceed, please type
'Yes, I am sure I want to proceed installing avahi and I am aware that
it will trash my system, and waste a lot of my time, and make my swear
in forgotten languages, but I am really sure I need the damn thing'"
when you try to apt-get install it...

I will keep reporting issues/problems on gitlab (there are already a
few minor cosmetic things to consider), but for the rest it is just a
boring everything-works-out-of-the-box experience :)

HND

KatolaZ