:: Re: [DNG] secure boot
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] secure boot
On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 12:21:14PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 06:35:11AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > How *do* we deal with secure boot? I am terrified of buying a new
> > machine because I'm afraid I won't get to install anything on it
> > wxcept for an OS from one of the big companies that have
> > sweetheart deals with Microsoft.
>
> I think that so far secure boot can be disabled. I confirm I was able
> to disable it in my laptop. This does not mean that it would be
> optional forever, though.

The ability to disable secure boot was a requirement for the Windows 8 Logo
program (obviously to stave off accusations from the EU). It is gone for
Windows 10 Logo, and thus you can expect hardware vendors to drop it -- such
features cause development and support costs. This would be the case even
with no underhanded policies, and know that "no underhanded policies" goes
strictly against Microsoft volume licensing policy.

--
An imaginary friend squared is a real enemy.