:: Re: [DNG] resolved
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] resolved
Le 07/06/2016 10:36, Steve Litt a écrit :
>> >In
>> >my circle, it is heresy. I suppose I am seeped in the corporate
>> >culture and find open discussions invigorating.
> I'm all for corporations making money. I get paid, why shouldn't they?
>
> But what if I owned a bicycle shop, and furnished bicycle thieves
> with bolt cutters and five bucks for every bike they boosted, so that
> the recently ripped off would buy a new bike from my shop? That's
> basically what Redhat's doing: Destroying Linux to make their training
> and consulting more valuable.

     Pottering-and-The-Red-Hats drive their buzyness-model on an edge.
They're making money from their own software which is built on top of
free software. Many companies contribute for free to Linux because they
consider it's good for them to have a high quality free OS to run on
their products or to run their products on. But Redhat is the first,
probably not the one which gets the most money out of Linux (I bet
Google gets first), but the one which contributes most to Linux.

     The following link gives statistics of who contributes to the Linux
kernel:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/sites/main/files/publications/whowriteslinux.pdf
. Redhat is the first corporate contributor with 12% of all changes in
the kernel, and the first reviewer of kernel changes, with 36%, before
Google, Novell and the total of non-corporate. This is a very strong
implication, mostly for the benefit of all Linux users.

     This puts them in a dangerous position of power. I'm not sure,
after all, if they really intended to hijack Linux-Gnu. If they really
want to do that, they might loose many contributions and find themselves
alone, in the same situation as Apple and Microsoft. I'm not sure this
is what they want. They may well have just made a mistake and still be
unable to see it.

     Didier